I WOKE UP AND I WAS 40
There is a high cheek boned beauty who has been a part of my life for longer than I have ever known.
When I sailed I could feel her kiss my face on the breeze
Feel her in the ocean swells
See her in the sunsets
All of it bringing me to her, healing me.
I can hear the wishes and and fears and dreams of all those around me
Pressing in and surrounded by the noise of other peoples lives
To not live my own
Seeking the quiet and stillness
Away from the cacophony of my mind
Still-dark-quiet, hiding and haunted
Screaming silently, surrounded and alone
Dying to have love, but living to have none
A life stolen in a thousand little cold crimes
A thousand little acts of blind ignorance
Denial
Hiding-haunted-buried in the black snow
Walking/stumbling through the winter of my life
Numb- cold- dead
I don’t know when I went to sleep
3, 4, 5 ?
I woke up and I was 40.
Feeling for the first time
Knowing for the first time
Believing for the first time
In life
Life peeled back and raw
Lived close to the bone
With others
In my sleepless nights I heard her, voice soothing
In my childhood I felt her, hair smoothing
A God-given pillow for my spinning head
I searched for her in my toy box, dark and small
Seeking her in the woods and streams and rivers of my youth
I tried to take her from others, who did not have her to give
Always looking, in the pages of magazines and in the frames of movies
Never satisfied
When I woke up I was 40
And I was married to her.
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Poweful stuff, Jeff. Thank you for trusting me (us) with this.
Post a Comment